Saturday, March 29, 2008

And this concludes our broadcast day...

It's been quite some time since I contributed any sort of posting to the Chronicles here and while I may have been busy elsewhere - writing and contributing to CNN.com both in print and video - I can't say that's much of an excuse...

And so it's here - at yet another crossroads in my career, that the future of the Chronicles becomes fairly clouded.

Originally, when I first moved to Los Angeles, the Chronicles was a weekly e-mail dispatch detailing my early adventures in TV journalism and Hollywood for friends back in South Florida and New Orleans. It somehow developed a readership that existed outside of my own circle of friends, thanks to the magic of the Forward button.

Over time, the focus of the Chronicles progressed from celebrity sightings to rambling rants against corporate America, to pop-cultural esoterica and back, much like my career.

Today, I'm happy to report that I've resigned from my position at CNN, effectively ending a 16 year career in broadcasting.

I've been given an extraordinary opportunity to join a new media start-up based in Santa Monica known as Deca. As their newly minted Director of Production, I'll be bringing my experiences in both radio and TV to help create and develop video content for several online portals including mega-blog Boing Boing's new venture Boing Boing TV.

After a career that began back in 1992 with an on-air gig working for CBS-Radio (on the now defunct "95YNF"), and ending things both on-air and behind-the-scenes for one of the world's premiere news gathering organizations with CNN, aside from the obvious change of venue, you might say things are heading in an entirely new direction.

And that gives reason for pause...

All I can say is that after giving CNN the opportunity to try and keep me on staff, and finding out in the end that they had no clear direction or plan for the road ahead, it might as well be up to me to figure out what's next.

I'm excited beyond measure... to be at the beginning of an new chapter - and at the start of a new journey on life's road, where the path ahead is almost entirely my own choosing is quite the head trip.

Usually when these "moments" have popped up along the road, I've marked their passing by beginning a new "volume" of the Chronicles. Now, I'm contemplating closing the books on them altogether. It seems fitting enough.

Of course, new adventures beg for new tales to be told - so it's not like I'll be riding off into the sunset at the end of the picture.

They tried that shit at the end of "Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade," and guess who's coming to a theater near you this summer, with bullwhip, fedora and fiber supplements in hand?
(Fuck you, Steven Spielberg.)

As to what's next, I'll borrow some famous not-so-last words from the great Stan Lee...

Stay Tuned True Believers!

Your man on the coast,

Matt

2 comments:

Mogest said...

Congrats, Matt. All the best for your career move!

razor said...

It seems fitting to say, "I wish you the best in your future endeavor." Seriously, good luck!