Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Wasting My Time on The Company's Dime

Among the random, useless e-mails I receive on a daily basis, today I received a message informing me of an impromptu corporate training session taking place in our offices today. Joy!
And because it's a company crusade, it's mandatory. Bliss! And, to make sure any hopes for actually accomplishing anything at the office today are dashed, it's three hours long. Rapture!!!

Settle down, Beavis... today we're "Building Respect In The Workplace."

What the fu--? (Sorry, apparently that's inappropriate language)

Didn't I just sit through this three hour dirge a year ago? (Yes.)

Have the rules about what's respectful and disrespectful among my colleagues somehow changed in the past year? (No. Apparently, the same standards from 2004 still apply today.)

Madness. Pure, unadulterated madness.

What really bakes my skull about this is that at some point this quarter, I'm supposed to take time out of my day to explain exactly how I've earned my paycheck, maximizing my time and productivity at work and therefore insuring value for our shareholders. (I shit you not... )

I wonder how well it's going to go over when I explain that I couldn't get as much work done as I would've liked because I spent most of a perfectly good workday in a seminar where I was taught "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."
For three hours.

No comments: